Epilating is one of the best at-home hair removal solution which gives you the best results that last up to four weeks. All you need is to know how to use it the proper way.
In this article, we shall discuss the step-by-step process for using an epilator and how to get the most from it. Also, we will learn about some useful tips while using an epilator. This will help you in smooth and effective hair removal.
Before that, let us first learn about an epilator.
What is an Epilator?
An epilator is a handheld electric device that features rotating tweezers. It removes the hair directly from the roots by pulling it with these tweezers. Epilating helps in reducing hair thickness and growth over time. An epilator is suitable for removing hair of all types with less/no side effects.
Types of Epilators
Epilator is available in two options, namely dry and wet epilators
One can use a wet epilator to remove the hair during a shower/bath. Whereas, a dry epilator is meant to be used without water.
An epilator can help remove even the shortest hair follicles easily and effortlessly anytime and anywhere. Moreover, it comes with various attachments for using the device on different parts of the body. Some models come exclusively for specific areas like the face, underarms, bikini line, etc. You can use the device for specified areas as mentioned on it.
The results you get from an epilator are unparalleled in comparison to other hair removal methods like shaving and depilatory creams. It gives you soft, smooth, and hair-free skin with less ingrown hair. On average, an epilator can give you the best results that last up to four weeks.
However, the frequency of its usage will depend on how faster your hair grows. In general, you can enjoy a month of smooth skin in between epilating sessions.
Let us now learn how to use an epilator the right way.
How to Use an Epilator?
Using an epilator is not a difficult thing to do. However, you need to be a little careful and take few precautions to enjoy the best results. Here is a step-by-step procedure that guides you on how to use an epilator. Make sure you follow all the steps in the process diligently for comfortably removing the unwanted hair from your body.
1. Choose Epilator
The first step is to choose the epilating device. There are a plethora of models available in the market. Hence, it is imperative to select the right device from a reputed brand that offers all the required features. Do not fall prey to cheap epilators that claim to do the job. Always choose a high-quality epilator with more tweezers, as it can catch hold of shorter hairs. Moreover, you can use them in different areas of your body like arms, legs, etc. You can have a look at our best reviews of epilators to grab the right one. This will help you in making the correct decision. After selecting the new epilator, make sure to keep it on a charge.
2. Plan Ahead
It is always advisable to plan ahead when you want to epilate. We suggest you set a time for epilating without any rush. Always remember this – Whether you are new to using an epilator or seasoned pro to epilating, you must have to take breaks and then speed up. One may experience a little discomfort and observe redness on the skin after epilation. Do not get panic after looking at this. It is very common, harmless, and will subside eventually. However, it does not look good when people notice this. So do not prefer epilating right before the event to prevent yourself from this embarrassing situation.
Most experts suggest doing this in the evening, as it hurt less and the redness caused will calm down overnight. Also, avoid epilating while you are on periods. You may be sensitive to the pain at that time.
3. Prepare Your Skin – Exfoliate
Start prepping up for the epilating process by exfoliating. Always exfoliate the area where you want to epilate before starting the procedure. It removes dead skin cells and washes away any moisturizing creams or lotions on the skin. Thus, it ensures a clean skin surface to reduce the risk of any ingrown hairs.
If you are using a dry epilator or one with a cord, make sure you pat dry your skin. It helps in making your hair more visible. You can now easily remove it in the opposite direction as your hair grows. If you are using a wet epilator, you do not need to dry your skin for epilating.
4. Hold it On to 90 Degrees
When using an epilator, you need to hold it to a certain degree for easy hair removal. Here is a piece of advice if you are using it for the first time. Start epilating on the area which is less sensitive, like a lower leg. Try to hold it at 90 degrees with one hand while pulling the skin taut with another hand. This will allow the hair to come out easily without much discomfort. Moreover, it is a natural and comfortable way of holding the epilator device. Avoid pressing it against the skin – all you need is to hold it loose to allow rotatory tweezers to grab the hair and pull them by root.
5. Hold the Skin Taut
Make sure to hold the skin taut, as it is key to an efficient epilation and thereby reduce the pain. For instance, while epilating your underarms, you have to raise your hands overhead and stretch them to avoid pinching your skin. If you epilate once every two weeks, the hair becomes a bit coarse, and the skin gets used to it. This makes you get habituated to the little pain.
6. Epilate against the Hair Growth Direction
You should always epilate against the direction of the hair growth. This is a thumb rule one has to follow when using an epilator. Make sure you abide by this during each epilating session. Slowly switch an epilator on a slower setting and glide it along the skin against the direction of the hair growth. Take a few breaks in between the process to minimize the pain. You can even do this – try epilating in stages to make it less hurt while picking up the hairs. Do not rush while using an epilator. Otherwise, the hair will not get removed from the follicles. Instead, it will cut at the skin’s surface.
After epilating your skin, you may notice redness or little red bumps on the epilated area. It is very common, and one will observe it every time after epilating. However, it will subside within a few hours. Gentle exfoliation will clear the skin’s surface again to prevent any ingrown hairs. Applying witch hazel or aloe vera-based moisturizer will soothe your skin. Also, apply tea tree oil on sensitive areas like underarms or bikini lines to prevent folliculitis with its natural antiseptic properties.
Regular cleaning of the device after you epilate is a must. Do it without fail if you want to increase the performance and longevity of your epilator. Some models come with a brush to clear off the hair stuck between the tweezers. In case if you are using a dry epilator, then rinse its head, any attachments, or caps under running water. Finally, clean it well by using rubbing alcohol. Be it a wet epilator or a dry one, it is essential to clean the device every time after its usage.
9. Touch Up
After the epilation process, you may require to take certain precautions to ensure long-lasting results. Hence, it is a must to exfoliate the skin once a week to prevent ingrown hairs. Also, you may find a few areas, which require a touch-up after a few days. The reason is that you broke the hair instead of removing it from the roots. Touch-up is better for small areas and helps maintain that smooth finish for a longer time.
What Are The Tips To Effectively Use An Epilator?
Although epilating is a little painful process, the results it provides are unparallel when compared to other hair removal methods. Moreover, following the tips mentioned below can help you with an easy, comfortable, and hassle-free epilating procedure.
Tips to Use an Epilator:
Here are some of the tips to help you use an epilator effectively.
- If you are a beginner, it is advisable to choose a dry/wet model epilator. It is a multi-use device, more flexible, and considered the best option for newbies. This type of epilator is easier to clean and less painful to use.
- Most of the models come with a front smart light LED to show up the fairer and finer hairs. So, preferably choose an epilator that comes with a light.
- The best time to epilate is in the evening. The reason is that even though, if you get any red bumps on the skin, then they will settle down overnight. You can get ready in the morning for your event.
- If you are using a waterproof or wet epilator, use it before or during a shower. This not only keeps your skin clean but also makes the hair extraction job easier by opening the skin pores.
- For best results, it is advisable to move the device slowly across the body. Start an epilator on a low setting and increase the speed gradually. But do not rush and move it quickly, as it will leave hairs behind.
- Pull the skin taut with one hand while using an epilator with the other hand. Doing this, especially on areas with sensitive skin, will help to clear even the tiny hairs. Furthermore, it makes the process quicker, less painful, and easier.
- Epilate warm to open up your skin pores and make it less sensitive. Or else goosebumps will make it harder to remove the hair.
- While epilating in areas like underarms, you have to pull the arms up over the head and stretch them as much as you can. This will help you epilate the area properly without much pain.
- Moisturize your skin every time after using an epilator to reduce redness or skin irritation.
- Regular exfoliation before and after a few days of epilation will prevent those ingrown hairs.
- Avoid epilating your skin while you are on periods. We recommend it because one will be more sensitive to pain at that time.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ans: An epilator removes hair from the root through the rotation of its tweezers. Hence, epilating is a painful process and hurts you. So, the shorter the hair, the less pain you are going to feel. Just like waxing, it will pinch the first time. But after a few sessions, it will be normal. You will get used to the pain and will no longer find any discomfort.
Here is what you can do to minimize the pain during epilating:
* Always take a shower before you start the epilating process. This will open up the skin pores and soften the skin.
* Exfoliate your skin to remove dead cells and to make the skin less oily. It reduces the risk of getting ingrown hair.
* Use either a scrub or an exfoliating glove to exfoliate the body.
* Hold the skin taut while epilating. It will reduce the pain. Use one hand to hold the device, while using another one to hold the skin taut.
* A few models of epilators come with different speed settings. Always start on a low setting and then increase the speed gradually to see what you can tolerate.
* Choose a wet and dry model epilator. You can use it while taking a bath/under the shower.
* Also, choose an epilator with a higher number of tweezers to reduce the epilation pain. It reduces the number of passes, and thereby reduces the duration of using an epilator.
* Finally, apply moisturizer to soothe the skin each time after epilation.
Ans: It is always advisable to epilate at night rather than in the morning. It is inevitable to notice redness, inflammation, and small bumps on the skin after epilation. They will settle down overnight, and by the morning, you will have the skin perfect and back in its natural colour. It leaves clear, smooth skin without any redness or skin irritation. Do not forget to moisturize after epilating.
Ans: Regular cleaning and maintenance of the epilator after you epilate is a must. This is something you should not neglect if you want to increase the performance and longevity of the device. Thoroughly clean the epilator along with tweezers head after every usage with a cleaning brush. If its head is not washable, then clean and dry it properly. If you are using a cordless epilator, then it is mandatory to charge it once a month. Doing so will make the battery last for about 40 minutes and makes it work for many years.
Regular washing, cleaning, and charging of a cordless epilator will prevent the need to replace the device once a year. If you are using a corded epilator, which is reliable and works to last longer, you do not have to worry about its charging.
Ans: It is a known fact that epilators do not completely remove all hairs from the root. A few might get broken when grabbed by the rotating tweezers while a few may be too thin to be grabbed or pulled. Most experts suggest that epilating once every two weeks will give the best results. However, it depends from individual to individual and on how fast your hair regrows.
Although epilating is a little painful process, it will leave silky-smooth skin that lasts for up to four weeks. Initially, you may notice a little discomfort because of the pain. However, with regular epilating sessions, you will get used to the technique. As a result, you might not feel much pain or any discomfort. The step-by-step process of using an epilator is explained in this guide. This should help you in smooth and effective hair removal. Share this article with your friends who need to know about how to use an epilator. Moreover, the useful tips cited in this write-up will help them make the most of the device.
Let us know if this information helped you know everything about the epilator and how to use it. Write to us if you have any questions or need more info on the usage of this device. We will try our best to answer all your queries at the earliest. If required, we will come up with a new article with all the necessary information that will clear all your doubts and confusion.
Please share your feedback with us by adding your inputs to the article in the below comments section. Do not hesitate to let us know if we missed out on any points. We welcome your suggestions and would love to learn from you.
Stay healthy and stay safe!!!